Sunday, May 14, 2017

Hi again everybody, Peter filled in from Kent with this velvet painting by Robert done in - 


"I lived in St Mawgan just outside Newquay in 1979. Moved back to London but visited with my wife and at that time one son (soon became two). Life was tough then - but years of hard labour! corrected that.  In 1981 I saw an Ixer on Velvet of Newquay Island, and just had to buy it. It was on sale in the Newquay Gallery if I remember correctly, at a cost of £45. The suspension bridge had always fascinated me and this picture seemed to capture it very well. Oil on velvet was a new concept to me: but I loved it. I discussed the picture with my wife and we went back the next day and spent the £45 on purchasing it. This was a lot of money for us at the time! But I have never resented a penny of it. I still look and admire the picture. My wife loved it too - although I lost her in 1998. Having read that Ixer prices had risen since I bought this I thought I'd better insure it. In addition I'd like to know how many Robert did of the island, and did he do any other local landscapes that could be considered as a companion picture?"


Well, Pete, sorry to hear about your wife, Rob has rarely done Newquay Island I think but sure has  few many landscapes..

No comments:

Post a Comment